The Trenchard estate constructed in 1911, now standing as the Long Island Yacht Club, was originally a private summer home for Edward & Mary Trenchard situated on the South Shore of Long Island overlooking the Great South Bay.
In 1958 the estate was donated to a group of 8 men led by Bob Keeshan, more famously known from the children’s television series as “Captain Kangaroo”. The original group of 8, with a shared affinity for sailing established the Long Island Yacht Club.
The LIYC is richly embedded in local history through the promotion of sailing, youth involvement, community outreach, and socialization amongst like minded individuals. Today the Long Island Yacht Club is a privately owned Membership Club comprised of 212 families and growing. A mainstay rooted in the Village of Babylon with the original charter established 61 years ago, the LIYC provides a destination for adults and children alike to enjoy summertime with friends and family.